Monday, August 8, 2011

Summer Reading

Some say you can tell a lot about somebody by the books they have stacked on their night stand. My wife and I seem to have the bedroom littered with books. She devours books. I'm more of a snacker, working on 3 or 4 books all at the same time.

Last week, we had all school administrators in for a retreat for three days and I required each to give a book report. That turned out to be a very popular activity. Some read books on leadership. Some shared their favorite crime novel. Some even decided to tell of the favorite book they’ve been reading to their children.

I seem to read a little more in the summer. Maybe going on vacation and relaxing with a good book kind of gets me in gear for it. Anyway, I thought I’d give my own little book report for your consideration. I’m not sure what these titles say about me, but they are my most recent beside readings.

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein – Recommended to me by my mother who has turned into a real dog lover, the story is told by Enzo, the family dog. You learn through his eyes how the family fell apart and the role he played in putting it back together. Keep the hanky handy.

A Captains Duty By Richard Phillips - This is the true story told by the captain of a cargo ship over run by Somali Pirates in April 2009. He is eventually taken hostage, spending several days with his captors in a life boat.

Seized by Max Hardberger - (What is it with me and the sea captains?) This is a collection of true stories of a sea captain who specializes in recovering stolen ships in some of the world’s most troubling waters.

Room by Emma Donoghue – (my favorite of the summer) This tale is told from the point of view of a five year old boy who was conceived, born and lived his entire life in a room with his mother who was kidnapped from her college campus at age 19. She has done her best to teach him everything she can in this limited environment. He loves his little world, but she decides to use him in an attempt to escape their captor.

The Johnstown Flood by David McCullough – If you’re a history buff, and I can’t say I ever was, this is a fascinating account of one of the most devastating disasters America has ever known.

That’s enough. There are others in baskets and under the bed I’m sure. Maybe I’ll get to them next summer.

No comments: