Friday, September 18, 2009

The Flu

I have a cold. It’s not the flu, just a cold that started with a little sinus drainage, moved to sore throat and has now dropped into my chest in about 3 days. I’ll survive.

At least it’s not the flu. My wife had the flu about a month ago (the non-porcine kind) and it was a rough one. This lady generally works 8 days a week and she ended up being home for about 10 days straight. Maybe if I was a better nurse she would’ve recovered more quickly.

This flu thing, swine or other, has us all thinking more cautiously. We’re washing our hands more. Just the other day, after the usual break in our church service where everyone greets one another with a handshake or a hug, I found myself asking my wife if she had any hand sanitizer in her purse. Now I keep it in my car and at my desk.

Here’s a little quiz to test your knowledge of prevention basics. Share them with your family.

Q: If your hands are occupied and you have to sneeze, what’s the best way to catch it?
A: In the crook of your arm, inside your elbow.

Q: How long should you wash your hands?
A: As long as it takes to sing Happy Birthday.

Q: If you’ve been away from school or work with the flu, when is it safe to return?
A: When you’ve had no fever for 24 hours with no assistance from fever reducing meds.

Bottom line is, I tell parents to count on their child getting the flu and make plans for caring for them. We won’t keep children at school when they have a fever. We won’t send them home on the bus either. Child care centers won’t take them. So, be sure to have a family plan. I know it may be a burden on the family income, but failure to act responsibly risks spreading infections further.

We understand that the Department of Public Health is devising a plan to offer swine flu vaccinations to students at school this fall. No details are available at this time, but hopes are they’ll get the details out in October and begin the shots in early November. In the mean time, this website can keep you informed. http://dhss.delaware.gov/dhss/dph/index.html.

If you want to talk to someone in the district about the flu, your child’s school nurse is the most knowledgeable resource we have.

Stay safe and wash your hands.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
My comment has nothing to do with the Flu.
I would like to begin by saying that I am proud to be a part of the Lake forest School District. Last week I registered my daughter for school and I was trying not to take offense of the fact that one of the secretaries insisted on filling out the paperwork for me. I am a very bright woman. I have no trouble with reading or comprehension. I administered my father’s estate, filed my own taxes completed a mortgage application and I have a career that requires that I interpret legal jargon. I found the question and answer process inefficient and time consuming (about 45 minutes). I was also insulted that rather than asking my race and ethnicity I was assigned one (for example many darker skinned Hispanics don't have accents especially if your parents are Dominican and you grew up in a suburb of north New Jersey.) Lastly, from a legal stand point it is easier to argue the accuracy that someone else completed. As stated, my race and ethnicity were not asked but the secretary completed it based on her assumption. Also, in asking some of the questions paraphrasing does take place and the meaning of the question could be lost. It seems to me that it would make for sense to have the parent or legal guardian complete the paperwork on their own. They could ask for help if needed. Upon completion of the paperwork it could be checked in front of the preparer for missing information.
I was very polite and patient as to not make the secretary aware that I was annoyed with the process. After all, she was just doing her job in a manner that she has probably been doing several years. Although it was rude I am sure she meant no harm by assuming my ethnicity. Thank you for your time and consideration. I'm not trying to make a big deal about anything. It was just a quick observation. I hope you don't mind that I would like to remain anonymous. Thanks again for taking the time to read this.

Anonymous said...

When children wash their hands (or anyone else really) if you sing the Happy Birthday song fast, sing it twice. If you sing the song slowly, then sing it to yourself only once.